Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fwd: Mac support group: Cool application launcher

One quick tap on the power button also gives you this Restart/Sleep/Shut Down menu. At least it's defaulted to that. You can program it to sleep when you hit it . I didn't know about the key combo.

 

Another cool trick when you find an app not responding (Like Entourage) is Apple(Command)+Alt +Esc to pull up the Force Quit menu. It's sort of the Mac version of the Ctrl-Alt-Del command in Windows.

 

Also -- John -- not sure you saw my note about Apple ` (right above the Tab key) for toggling through windows in a single app.

Man we need a blog/wiki to post this stuff.....:)

 

 

On May 8, 2008, at 7:45 AM, Andrew Dunn wrote:



Hey John, I just tried citrix over VPN from home – works fine.  Not sure what changed but I'm glad that it did.

Question for the group: I have the Microsoft MSN Live client installed and it works great EXCEPT when I'm on the VPN.  Seems weird because I know with the windows version it works regardless of being vpn'd or not.  Interested to see what others are noticing?

Also wanted to share my favorite keyboard shortcut: control-eject.  This gives you a restart/sleep/shut down menu similar to windows.  At the end of the day I just Alt-Q every app and then ctrl-eject to close 'er down :)

cheers, Andrew


On 5/2/08 11:50 PM, "John Hegarty" <jhegarty@gci.com> wrote:


Hi -

Pretty Nice.

On the Citrix while VPN'd issue.  Seems as if this now works from several locations, home, hotel.  Nice to have this functionality back.  I'd like to see what others find.

Andrew – you mentioned a keyboard short cut to browse files within an application,  that is Alt tab gets you to excel but is there a shortcut to tab through all open excel docs?

Thanks,

John


On 5/2/08 11:23 PM, "Andrew Dunn" <adunn@gci.com> wrote:



Adding the applications folder to the dock works pretty well, but this little tool is more like the old Windows start bar.  Gives you a nice hierarchical menu up on the menu bar to access all your apps.

http://softbend.free.fr/himmelbar/index.html


 

No comments: